I know you are probably tired of hearing the phrase “I am thankful for…” by this time in the season, but here is something else to consider that may change the way you feel about year-round gratitude and not just with holiday stuffing in front of you. Recently I came across something called a “Reverse Bucket List.” This list is not all the things you don’t like to do and are thankful to have never experienced; but a list of the things you have done, accomplished, witnessed, and celebrated in your life that brings you that warm little feeling apple pie does on the 4th Thursday in November.
It works like this: If you make list and lists about the things we hope to do, or the places we want to go, we could be missing what is right in front of us. Not to say I don’t have desires because I have plenty of them. Just this morning I was telling my boyfriend most of the things I want I don’t have the means to buy, or the experience to complete my goals. It sucks sometimes. I think about how my three favorite artists had concerts in the same week, but it was the week before recruitment so I couldn’t go. Not that I don’t love my chapter, but it did suck to miss. Instead of thinking about the people much more qualified to do the things I want, I should have the courage to try them out because sometimes. Because at the end of the day, someone else has been in your shoes and they see your potential, and spark to write for a super cool fashion magazine on your college campus (i.e. rush Clutch Magazine).
Next time that you feel stuck in a rut, think about all the good that has come out of this weird time. If you feel like there isn’t anything good going on, or that has happened in your life, think smaller. Remember that one time our football team won by like 70 points? Yes, Go ‘Noles, that is going on my reverse bucket list.
Seriously though, take the time to highlight the little things you accomplish, and the other things you care about that are happening around you. We will have the time to be lazy and vacation in Greece with your gal pals, just like there will come a time where you get to watch the ball drop in NYC. The best of things don’t happen overnight.
Here are some things on my Reverse Bucket List that I would like to share:
1. I met two perfect people I have the honor of calling my littles, most of the time they are referred to as my literal children.
2. I met the most amazing guy and now were grossly happy together.
3. I got my first A on an exam in Italian, thank The Universe, I needed that one.
4. I started reading a book I love, and it has changed me for the better (I won’t tell you what it’s called because I am writing about it soon).
5. For someone who never travels, I have been to New Orleans and Miami this semester, and am going to Tennessee with that boy that makes me so happy with all our friends.
6. I have watched some of my best friends fall in love, win competitions within their major, and land their dream job.
7. There have been cold days this fall! (seriously I am very thankful)!
8. My brother turned 21 and even though he is still a kid at heart, he has grown so much and that makes me happy.
9. My writing has been published a handful of times this semester.
10. I am on the road to becoming who I want to be.
Nothing but Light,
Heaven Lee Rubin
FSU's Premiere Fashion Magazine